WFDB held its 6th General Assembly in Nairobi, Kenya on the 24-25 October 2022. More than 30 delegates with deafblindness were present from around the world, either as delegates or observers. 26 of them represented a national deafblind organisation, with a right to vote.
President: Sanja Tarczay (Croatia)
Vice-President: Samuel Valencia (Colombia)
Executive Council Members:
- Ezekiel Kumwenda (Malawi)
- Riku Virtanen (Finland)
- Christopher Woodfill (USA)
- Africa: Juliet Wabukawo (Uganda)
- Asia: Zamir Dhale (India)
- Europe: Velichka Draganova (Bulgaria)
- Latin America: Melba Benjamin (Dominican Republic)
- The Pacific: Amanda Stevens (New Zealand)
- North America: Not announced.
- Klas Nelfelt (Sweden)
- Francisco Trigueros (Spain)
Chairperson of the Election Committee: David Shaba (Tanzania)
Members of the Election Committee:
- Roger Galo (Honduras)
- Norah Gonzales (Bolivia)
The newly elected President, Sanja Tarczay (Croatia) thanked Geir Jensen (Norway) publicly for his work as President during 8 years, and hopes to continue counting on his advice and experience.
Irene McMinn (Australia) was also awarded both the medal of merit, and honorary membership. Since she was not present during the meeting, she will receive it at a later stage.
Finally, the red and white cane was officially recognised and approved as WFDB’s universal symbol for deafblindness, as proposed in 2018 by Swedesh delegates.