- World Health Organization & World Bank, World report on disability. 2011: World Health Organization.
- Groce, N. and M. Kett, The Disability and Development Gap, in Leonard Cheshire Working Paper Series. 2013, Leonard Cheshire Disability and Inclusive Development Centre: London.
- The Deafblind Nordic Cooperation Committee. The Nordic definition of deafblindness. n.d. [cited 2018 June 2]; Available from: http://www.fsdb.org/Filer/DBNSK English.pdf.
- Dammeyer, J., Characteristics of a Danish population of adults with acquired deafblindness receiving rehabilitation services. British Journal of Visual Impairment, 2013. 31(3): p. 189-197.
- Klaver, C.C., et al., Age-specific prevalence and causes of blindness and visual impairment in an older population: the Rotterdam Study. Archives of ophthalmology, 1998. 116(5): p. 653-658.
- Wolsey, J.-L.A., Perspectives and Experiences of DeafBlind College Students. The Qualitative Report, 2017. 22(8): p. 2066.
- Simcock, P., One of society’s most vulnerable groups? A systematically conducted literature review exploring the vulnerability of deafblind people. Health & social care in the community, 2017. 25(3): p. 813-839.
- World Federation of the Deafblind. Deafblind Interpretation. 2018 [cited 2018 June 2]; Available from: https://www.wfdb.eu/interpretation/.
- Simcock, P., Ageing with a unique impairment: a systematically conducted review of older deafblind people’s experiences. Ageing & Society, 2017. 37(8): p. 1703-1742.
- Dammeyer, J., Deafblindness: a review of the literature. Scandinavian journal of public health, 2014. 42(7): p. 554-562.
- Schneider, J.M., et al., Dual sensory impairment in older age. Journal of Aging and Health, 2011. 23(8): p. 1309-1324.
- Saunders, G.H. and K.V. Echt, An overview of dual sensory impairment in older adults: perspectives for rehabilitation. Trends in amplification, 2007. 11(4): p. 243-258.
- Chia, E.-M., et al., Association between vision and hearing impairments and their combined effects on quality of life. Archives of Ophthalmology, 2006. 124(10): p. 1465-1470.
- Harada, S., et al., Gender difference in the relationships between vision and hearing impairments and negative well-being. Preventive medicine, 2008. 47(4): p. 433-437.
- Schneider, J., et al., Prevalence and 5-year incidence of dual sensory impairment in an older Australian population. Annals of epidemiology, 2012. 22(4): p. 295-301.
- Caban, A.J., et al., Prevalence of concurrent hearing and visual impairment in US adults: The National Health Interview Survey, 1997–2002. American Journal of Public Health, 2005. 95(11): p. 1940-1942.
- Kasthuri, A., Visual and hearing impairment among rural elderly of south India: A community‐based study. Geriatrics & gerontology international, 2012. 12(1): p. 116-122.
- Viljanen, A., et al., Dual sensory loss and social participation in older Europeans. European Journal of Ageing, 2014. 11(2): p. 155-167.
- Brennan, M., Impairment of both vision and hearing among older adults: Prevalence and impact on quality of life. Generations, 2003. 27(1): p. 52-56.
- Cmar, J.L., M.C. McDonnall, and K.M. Markoski, In-School Predictors of Postschool Employment for Youth Who Are Deaf-Blind. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals, 2017: p. 2165143417736057.
- International Labour Organisation, Women and Men in the Informal Economy: A Statistical Picture. 2002, International Labour Office: Geneva.
- Bruce, S., K. Ferrell, and J.L. Luckner, Guidelines for the Administration of Educational Programs for Students Who Are Deaf/Hard of Hearing, Visually Impaired, or Deafblind. Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals, 2016. 47: p. 59.
- Nelson, C. and S.M. Bruce, Critical Issues in the Lives of Children and Youth Who Are Deafblind. American annals of the deaf, 2016. 161(4): p. 406-411.
- National Centre on Deaf-Blindness, The 2013 National Child Count of Children and Youth who are Deaf-Blind. 2014.
- Wittich, W., D.H. Watanabe, and J.P. Gagne, Sensory and demographic characteristics of deafblindness rehabilitation clients in Montreal, Canada. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt, 2012. 32(3): p. 242-51.
- Purvis, B., et al., Early Identificationand Referral of Infants Who Are Deaf-Blind. 2014, National Center on Deaf-Blindness.
- Crews, J.E. and V.A. Campbell, Vision impairment and hearing loss among community-dwelling older Americans: implications for health and functioning. American journal of public health, 2004. 94(5): p. 823-829.
- McDonnall, M.C., et al., Needs and Challenges of Seniors with Combined Hearing and Vision Loss. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness (Online), 2016. 110(6): p. 399.
- Laforge, R.G., W.D. Spector, and J. Sternberg, The relationship of vision and hearing impairment to one-year mortality and functional decline. Journal of Aging and Health, 1992. 4(1): p. 126-148.
- Lam, B.L., et al., Concurrent visual and hearing impairment and risk of mortality: the National Health Interview Survey. Archives of ophthalmology, 2006. 124(1): p. 95-101.
- Liljas, A., et al., OP07 Sensory impairments and mortality in older british community-dwelling men: a 10-year follow-up study. 2015, BMJ Publishing Group Ltd.
- Guthrie, D.M., et al., The health and well-being of older adults with Dual Sensory Impairment (DSI) in four countries. PloS one, 2016. 11(5): p. e0155073.
- Bodsworth, S.M., et al., Deafblindness and mental health: Psychological distress and unmet need among adults with dual sensory impairment. British Journal of Visual Impairment, 2011. 29(1): p. 6-26.
- Chou, K.L. and I. Chi, Combined effect of vision and hearing impairment on depression in elderly Chinese. International journal of geriatric psychiatry, 2004. 19(9): p. 825-832.
- Capella‐McDonnall, M.E., The effects of single and dual sensory loss on symptoms of depression in the elderly. International journal of geriatric psychiatry, 2005. 20(9): p. 855-861.
- Lupsakko, T., et al., Combined hearing and visual impairment and depression in a population aged 75 years and older. International journal of geriatric psychiatry, 2002. 17(9): p. 808-813.
- Heine, C. and C.J. Browning, Mental health and dual sensory loss in older adults: a systematic review. Frontiers in aging neuroscience, 2014. 6: p. 83.
- Cosh, S., et al., The association amongst visual, hearing, and dual sensory loss with depression and anxiety over 6 years: The Tromsø Study. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2017.
- Davidson, J.G. and D.M. Guthrie, Older adults with a combination of vision and hearing impairment experience higher rates of cognitive impairment, functional dependence, and worse outcomes across a set of quality indicators. Journal of aging and health, 2017: p. 0898264317723407.
- Wiley, S., et al., Outcomes for children with deaf-blindness with cochlear implants: a multisite observational study. Otology & Neurotology, 2013. 34(3): p. 507-515.
- Tiwana, R., S.M. Benbow, and P. Kingston, Late life acquired dual-sensory impairment: A systematic review of its impact on everyday competence. British Journal of Visual Impairment, 2016. 34(3): p. 203-213.
- Brennan, M., Y.-p. Su, and A. Horowitz, Longitudinal associations between dual sensory impairment and everyday competence among older adults. Journal of rehabilitation research and development, 2006. 43(6): p. 777.
- Moller, C., Deafblindness: living with sensory deprivation. The Lancet, 2003. 362: p. s46-s47.
- Lehane, C.M., et al., Sexuality and well-being among couples living with acquired deafblindness. Sexuality and Disability, 2017. 35(2): p. 135-146.
- Lehane, C.M., et al., A relationship-focused investigation of spousal psychological adjustment to dual-sensory loss. Aging & mental health, 2016: p. 1-8.